Portugal renews the title of “Best tourist destination in the world” at the World Travel Awards The travel industry elite has awarded the World Travel Awards (WTA) 2019 – known as the “Oscar” of tourism – at a ceremony at the Royal Opera House Muscat in Muscat (Oman). Portugal was once again one of the great winners with important prizes among which the one of the best tourist destination in the world stood out while Lisbon was named «Main city escape destination». Spain had to settle for two awards focused on business. Madrid won the important prize for the best congress city in the world for Las Vegas, which had won the prize the previous six years, and the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona was named the best business hotel in the world. The winners of the six continental ceremonies of the WTA, which celebrated its 26th anniversary, were faced by the coveted world titles.
Among the main winners, in addition to those mentioned in Portugal and Spain, Etihad Airways stood out as “The world’s leading airline”, Armani Hotel Dubai won the title of “The world’s leading hotel”, Dubai collected the title for Best Business Travel Destination world. The paradisiacal island of Saint Lucia rose as the best world honeymoon destination while Kenya won the award for Best safari destination in the world. Peru was recognized as the best culinary destination and Moscow defended itself from the tough competition to get the title of Best city destination. In the aviation sector, Aeroflot culminated a year of strong passenger growth by winning the World’s Leading Airline Brand and World Leading Airline – Executive Class while Singapore Changi Airport was named as the world’s leading Airport. Oman Air was recognized as the world’s leading Airline – First class. In the hospitality sector, the main winners included Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts as the world’s leading brand of luxury hotels; Hotel of the Coupole MGallery by Sofitel, Vietnam was the world’s leading design Hotel and InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort, Vietnam as the Best luxury beach resort in the world.
The Spaniards who opted for a prize
In the month of June, the World Travel Awards (WTA) 2019 were awarded on the island of Madeira in its European division. The winners of this phase were the world prize candidates. Among the Spaniards, they won a European prize:
– Madrid: Best leading destination for meetings and conferences (World prize won)
– Hotel La Manga Club Principe Felipe: Best Luxury Resort and Luxury Villas in Europe
– Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona Hotel, leader in meetings and conference destination (Achieved the world award)
– Las Colinas Golf & Country Club (Costa Blanca): Best Leading Villa Resort in Europe 2019
– La Manga Club: Best sports center in Europe 2019
– Kempinski Hotel Bahía: Best entertainment center and restaurants.
– Dark Sky Alqueva, Portugal and Spain: Responsible tourism award in Europe 2019.
– Vueling Airlines: Leading regional airline in Europe.0